Over the coming weeks we will be exploring different styles of wedding venue and selecting our “top five” for each style. This week we are looking at our favourite UK Castle venues - perfect for your fairytale wedding.
Wedding venues can be found in their thousands so it is very much a personal preference as to what you are trying to achieve and ultimately how far the old budget will stretch - do remember that most venues will have a variety of options from menu specifications to the time of year you actually get wed to help bring down the cost.
Polhawn Fort, Cornwall
Cornwall will always have a special place in my heart having been on many a holiday there when I was younger. This specific venue is sensational – a cliff-top Fort with exclusive access to its own Cove below. Not too far from Plymouth and easy reach of Devon and the West Country, this is the stuff of dreams with plenty of flexibility.
- You can choose to get married inside the Fort itself or if you are opting for a Summer/Boho feel you can choose to hold the ceremony in the Summer House
- They don’t charge corkage
- It’s a dog friendly venue!
- Disabled access is catered for
- Accommodation for 20 of your nearest and dearest!
For more info visit www.polhawnfort.com or call 01752 822864
A magnificent 13th century fortress just 8 miles from Edinburgh’s city centre. Set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk, Dalhousie Castle has luxurious surrounds, and holds the title as ‘Scotland’s Oldest Inhabited Castle’. As you can see from the picture this building is imposing and filled with history, definitely has the wow factor!
- 8 miles from Edinburgh City Centre
- The private chapel and the stately dining room of the Ramsay Suite or the Sir Alexander Room accommodate up to 100 guests
- The atmospheric Dungeon Restaurant and Orangery Restaurant are great for smaller parties
- Extra include falconry wedding ring deliveries by Dalhousie Castle's Barn Owls, Scottish ceilidhs and treatments in the Aqueous Spa
- Full bookings for over 20 guests include a complimentary night in the luxurious De Rameseia honeymoon room
- Their own wedding coordinators will bespoke a package just for you
For more information please visit www.dalhousiecastle.co.uk or call them on 01875 820153.
Peckforton Castle is a medieval style castle situated in Cheshire. As you pass through the magnificent gatehouse and sweep up the long drive, it becomes apparent how Peckforton Castle can make the most important day of your life even more special. Hold your wedding and wedding breakfast in this breathtaking venue, enjoying the idyllic views of Cheshire.
- 48 bedroom hotel
- 3 rosette restaurant
- Exclusive use of the castle can be arranged
- Choose from the Hexagonal Room, The Wine Cellar, The Great Hall or The Chapel to host your special event
- They have their very own wedding coordinators to help you plan your special day
- They will tailor the event to match your specifications and budget, with many optional extras such as Owl Ring delivery and a Bird of Prey flying display.
To contact them please visit www.peckfortoncastle.co.uk or call them on 01829 260 930.
Walton Castle was built in the 17th century and can be found in Clevedon, North Somerset. This is a unique venue for hosting fairytale weddings and is packed full of character and individuality. What I like about this venue was the shape - we used to make similar (if not slightly less stable) versions of this out of sand on the beach when we were kids.
- Located a few miles from Bristol and Bath
- A bespoke and highly flexible venue
- Cheap accommodation in nearby Clevedon
- They have staff on hand to assist with many aspects of your wedding from invitations to wedding cakes, car hire, themes and even entertainment
See more information at www.waltoncastle.com or call them on 08000146101.
Ripley Castle and Gardens is a 700 year old family home situated 3 miles from Harrogate in North Yorkshire on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. This castle offers ornate rooms, fantastic courtyards and from looking at the website seem very flexible to help you make the most of your special day- they offer their services all year round and are currently offering a winter package which sounds great.
- They can accommodate almost any size wedding reception in a variety or rooms and can host up to 110 guests for the evening do.
- You can hire the venue exclusively for you and your party (for an additional cost)
- A Marquee option is available which is set by the beautiful lakeside
- Wedding coordinators are on hand to help you as much as you need
- You can download the price list on the website which offers many flexible options to keep the costs down
More information on this venue can be found at www.ripleycastle.co.uk or call them on 01423 770152.
Have a good week!